Tuesday 13 July 2010

Footie 101



I am not a big football fan so I am glad the World cup is done and dusted and we can now get back to reality. Having said that, the couple of times that I sat down to watch the tournament, I did learn a lesson or two.

The referee’s say is final…You may disagree with his whistle blowing and dishing out of the dreaded yellow or red card, but whatever the referee says is it. I could not help but think about the times when I worry about what is, what isn’t and what could have been. It’s the times when I force myself to relax and trust that God is the final whistle blower and until He says it’s over, it’s not over, then things become clearer. I often end up wondering why I was stressing in the first place.

If you don’t play by the rules, you will be penalised..
There are rules that govern the universe we live in and those rules and principles will work to your advantage if you live by them. Sometimes as people of faith we tend to think God is there at our beck and call to override the rules and principles that he’s but in place! Don’t go shopping till you drop dead on your credit card and think God will cancel your debt just because you got your wallet anointed with oil last Sunday. The bailiffs will come calling if you don’t pay up, that’s for sure. I have learnt that there’s no alternative to hard work, when you see an artist at his best form, it’s because he’s spent hours practicing so much that when he comes out to perform his art, he makes it look so easy…. More like second nature. You can’t buy that and you can’t pray it down either.

No man is an island.. there’s no I in team..
There is a reason why I am not the only one inhabiting this space at this time. The answers to my prayers are spotted all around me, in the people God has blessed me with. Colleagues, friends, family, the bus driver, my neighbour and the list in endless. As much as it’s good to take time out and be by yourself, don’t pitch a tent in there, come up for air, it will only make you a better person.
‘One will put a thousand to flight and two, ten thousand’


You will not win based on past glory..
Winning is not mine by default. I have to continue to apply myself. Write as if it’s the first and only line I will ever write. Play like there’s no tomorrow and this is the only chance I have to play. Stop living on stale wine, keep it fresh!

Your few seconds of irrational behaviour can cost your team that win..
Sometimes you just need to take a breather, count to ten if you have to, those few seconds of re-think can make a whole lot of difference. Everything is all about perception and if you take time to think before you actually react or respond, you will see with a different eye.

There ends my few weeks of part-participation in the World cup madness, I guess those few minutes in front of the box didn’t go to waste.

No comments: