Sunday 30 October 2011

Pen Voyage Liner Notes - Track 5

Monday is for MUSIC.. I hope you've been enjoying my Pen Voyage Liner Notes?

Track 5 on the record is the song I wrote and named "Taste of Freedom"

What does it really mean to be free?



I think FREEDOM is an important element when it comes to song writing, performance or any creative endeavor for that matter.

The first few lines of track 5 on the record, Pen Voyage Chapter 1; Singing for Change goes...

"Walking down the road less traveled, asking myself 'why am I here?'
In this place I don't feel entitled, but somehow I love it here.
I don't want to be lost in a crowd, it's a path that is well worn..."


I once heard someone say that the bravest thing anyone can ever do is be bold to live their purpose. It takes courage to go against the grain and follow your heart to live what you believe is your purpose.

I wrote "Taste of Freedom" to express my journey into starting to understand one of the gifts I believe I have been blessed with my VOICE

I remember the first time I went out as a solo artist; my guitar on my back to play at "Spice of Life" a little live music bar in Soho, London. I was honestly taken back by people's response to my performance. I still get those moments where I ask myself, REALLY?



From singing in different choirs over the years, I find that there is an unwritten rule about how singers are meant to sound and for most choirs, unless a singer leads a certain way it really isn't deemed the best. I remember being in a choir and words like "Sing the song the way X sings it" being constantly thrown around.

I find that coming out from a collective or group of singers to going out as a solo artist can be a challenge but finding your voice and staying in your path is the best thing that can ever happen to you as a creative person. Everyone has a story to tell, everyone has a voice and I believe the journey to finding it is a lifetime.

Not only is a Voice "the sound produced by the vocal organs of a vertebrate, especially a human and the ability to produce such sounds." the American Heritage Dictionary also defines VOICE as The right or opportunity to express a choice or opinion

"...we've been placed here for a reason, finding out why, is our live's mission.."
From the song TASTE OF FREEDOM

Pen Voyage Chapter 1; Singing for Change is out on iTunes, Amazon and other digital stores
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/pen-voyage-chapter-1-singing/id466810768

You can buy the physical CD here




Listen to tracks from the album here
Latest tracks by Lánre

No comments: