Monday 5 December 2011

Pen Voyage Liner Notes - Track 10



This is the last installment of the Pen Voyage Liner Notes series and the song "Goodnight"

This song was the most difficult for me to write just because I initially couldn't find the right words to express what I was feeling about my father's passing.

During my dad's funeral, my brother wrote his Eulogy based on Mary E. Frye's 1932 poem Do not stand at my grave and weep.

It was the poem that eventually helped me to pen this song. I truly believe that death is a not the end but a journey into another life beyond this life and that's why the I called the song "Goodnight"

When we sleep we do wake up although some will wake up not on this side of time.


For a very long time, I did not realize how rare it was to have a father like mine. When I started to hear other people's stories and I began to appreciate the gift that my dad even more. Every child wishes to make his or her father proud and my dad always made sure to let my siblings and I know that he's proud of us. In writing and recording this record I knew I did just that; made him proud.

I hope that this song helps those who have lost family or friends to come to terms with their loss and hopefully in time, start to heal and celebrate their lives rather than rehearsing the pain that comes with losing a loved one.

I heard Oprah say this and I think it sums it all up for me.

"Every death, is a wake up call to live more fully, more completely, more presently right now"

LISTEN to Goodnight on Spotify

Pen Voyage Chapter 1; Singing for Change is out on iTunes, Amazon and other digital stores
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/pen-voyage-chapter-1-singing/id466810768

You can buy the physical CD here



Listen to tracks from the album here
Latest tracks by Lánre

No comments: